WV118 Limit Alarm
WV118 Limit Alarm
The Ultra SlimPak II is an exciting new line of isolating signal conditioners from Action Instruments with greater accuracy and better stability than virtually any other signal conditioners on the market today.
The WV118 is an RTD Limit Alarm with dual setpoints and two contact closure outputs. The input type and alarm functions are field configurable, offering maximum flexibility. The WV118 supports Pt100, in both 0.00385 and 0.00392 alphas, and Cu10 RTDs. All ranges allow the setpoints to be fully adjustable throughout the entire range.
The WV118-2000 contains two standard non-latching SPDT relays. When power is removed, the relays revert to their non-powered state. The WV118-2001 contains two latching relays. Whatever position the relays are in when power is removed is where they will remain when power is re-applied (a reset switch is provided to reset the relays after the alarm is no longer true). Both models are configurable as a single or dual setpoint alarm, with HI or LO trips. The WV118-2000 supports failsafe or non-failsafe operation. In failsafe operation the relay coil is energized when the process is below the HI setpoint or above the LO setpoint (opposite for non-failsafe). In the failsafe mode, a power failure results in an alarm state output.
Each of the alarm setpoints has a respective HI or LO deadband. Red LEDs will illuminate indicating an alarm condition. The trip will reset only when the process falls below the HI deadband or rises above the LO deadband. (The WV118-2001 requires pressing the reset switch in order to reset the relay after being tripped.) The deadband can be left at the minimum level (the factory default) or can be set to whatever level is desired.
Other than when executing the pushbutton calibration routine, the LEDs blink under the following conditions:
- On when unit is powered.
- Flashes at 2Hz when input is under range.
- Flashes at 8Hz when input is over range.
SETPOINT A (Red):
- On when Setpoint A is tripped.
- On when setting Setpoint A.
- Flashes while calibrating the input level.
SETPOINT B (Red):
- On when Setpoint B is tripped.
- On when setting Setpoint B.
- On while calibrating the input level.
An Under range condition exists when the signal is lower than the operational low value by 5°C. An Over Range condition exists when the signal is higher than the operational high value by 5°C.
C620 Factory calibration of input range, setpoints, and output relays.
Unless otherwise specified, the factory presets the Model WV118 as follows:
|Range:||-200°C to 600°C|
|Trip:||A: HI, B: LO|
|Deadband:||A, B: minimum|
- For other ranges, refer to the SWITCH SETTINGS table (see Figure 5). Reconfigure switches S1 and S2 for the desired input type and range.
- Set position 1 of S2 to ON if a WVC16 will be utilized and remote calibration capability is desired.
- Set position 2 and 3 of S2 to ON for a Hi trip setpoint or to OFF for a Low trip setpoint.
- Set position 4 of S2 to ON for failsafe operation (e.g. alarm trips upon power failure) or OFF for non-failsafe operation (-2000 only).
It is also possible to remotely select the setpoints using an Ethernet connection and the optional WVC16 WebView Communications Interface module.
Relay Protection and EMI Suppression
When switching inductive loads, maximum relay life and transient EMI suppression is achieved using external protection (see Figures 2 & 3). Place all protection devices directly across the load and minimize all lead lengths. For AC inductive loads, place a properly-rated MOV across the load in parallel with a series RC snubber. Use a 0.01 to 0.1µF pulse film capacitor (foil polypropylene recommended) of sufficient voltage, and a 47., 1/2W carbon resistor. For DC inductive loads, place a diode across the load (PRV > DC supply, 1N4006 recommended) with (+) to cathode and (-) to anode (the RC snubber is an optional enhancement).
WV16 Communications Interface (Optional)
The WVC16 Communications Interface adds functionality never before found in a signal conditioning system. The WVC16 interfaces with Ultra SlimPak II devices via an internal infrared communications link (no programming required) and provides the ability to connect as many as 32 modules to the intranet, allowing the user to view process data on a near real time basis, perform data logging functions on specified modules, calibrate the signal conditioners remotely, and view diagnostic information.
The WVC16 contains a web page server and an e-mail server. Browsers supported include Internet Explorer 5 or later and Netscape Navigator 4.7 or later. The user has the ability to have setpoint trip conditions generate an email message for up to 10 recipients. The module also contains a countdown timer that can be used to notify when routine maintenance is required, such as re-calibration. The internal temperature of the module can also be monitored. All memory to support the signal conditioner’s historical data, storage of the web pages and all e-mail messages is contained in the WVC16.
The WVC16 downloads a JAVA applet to the client’s computer. The applet provides access to the signal conditioner’s data, which includes the following:
- Module configuration summary
- Module configuration editing
- Diagnostic/warning status
- Alarm setup & status
- E-mail setup, editing & address book
- Process variable viewing
The calibration procedure is contained in the Installation & Calibration Instructions document, which is available on our website (www.actionio.com). You can also obtain it by telephoning Action technical support (703- 669-1318).
Note that Custom Calibration (option C620) is available from the factory (settings MUST be within the units specifications). For a C620, specify the following:
- RTD type and temperature range.
- Setpoint A trip point and reset point.
- Setpoint B trip point and reset point.
- Failsafe (ON/OFF)
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS (WV118)
|-200 to 260||-328 to 500||11|
|-200 to 100||-328 to 212||12|
|-200 to–100||-328 to -148||13|
|-50 to 100||-58 to 212||14|
|-18 to 260||0 to 500||15|
|-200 to 60 0||-32 to 1112||0.00385||1|
|-200 to 260||-328 to 500||0.00385||2|
|-200 to -100||-328 to -148||0.00385||3|
|-50 to 100||-58 to 212||0.00385||4|
|-18 to 300||0 to 572||0.00385||5|
|-200 to 600||-328 to 1112||0.00392||6|
|-200 to 260||-328 to 500||0.00392||7|
|-200 to -100||-328 to -148||0.00392||8|
|-50 to 100||-58 to 122||0.00392||9|
|-18 to 300||0 to 572||0.00392||10|
Pt100 0.00385, Pt100 0.00392, Cu10
2-wire or 3-wire
Pt100: 0.45mA, max.
Cu10: 5.0mA, max.
Lead Wire Resistance
40% of the base sensor resistance maximum or 100 ohms (whichever is less)
Lead Wire Effect
Changing from 0 ohm lead resistance (each lead) to maximum allowed lead resistance: Error <1% of largest span PT and Cu ranges; -200 to 600°C for Pt and –200 to 260°C for Cu.
- Effective zero offset: >95% (Inputs >10mV)
- Effective span turn down: >95%
Local Range Selection
By DIP switch
- Dynamic Deadband: Relay status will change when proper setpoint/process condition exists for 100mSec.
- Normal Mode: <250mSec (analog filtering)
Setpoints are adjustable (by pushbutton) over 100% of the selected input span
±0.05% of FS, ±1°C (constant temp)
2 SPDT (2 form C) Relays, 1 relay per setpoint
Agency Approvals (EMC & Safety)
- CE: EN61326, EN61010-1
- UL and CSA Combined mark
Current rating (general use)
- 120VAC: 5A
- 240VAC: 2A
- 28VDC: 5A
- Material: Gold flash over silver alloy
- Electrical Life: 10^5 operations at rated load
- Reset Switch: For unlatching the relay once the process is no longer in the alarm state (WV118-2001 only).
±100ppm of full scale/°C (±0.01%/°C)
120dB @ DC, >90dB @ 60Hz, or better
>1800VDC or peak AC between input, output and power.
Capable of meeting IEC 801-2 level 3 (8kV)
- Operating: 15 to 95% RH (@45°C)
- Soak: 90% RH for 24hrs (@60°C)
- Operating: 0 to 60°C
- Storage: -25 to +85°C
9 to 30VDC, 1.0W typical, 2.0W max
Host Module Interface
IR link, same specs as Phase 1 modules
DIN rail case – refer to Dimensions drawing
- Operating Temperature: 0°C to +60°C (32 to 140°F)
- Storage Temperature: -25°C to +85°C (-13 to 185°F)
- Operating Relative Humidity (non-condensing): 15% to 95%RH at 45°C
- Non-operating Relative Humidity: 90%RH at 60°C for 24 hours